I received this email from KOLFoods yesterday:
A wonderful shipment of 100% grass-fed kosher meat arrives at the door.
But Ack! Wherever shall I recycle the polystyrene cooler that it came in? Which will win – the guilt of throwing it out or the inconvenience of taking it to a place that can recycle it
Fret no more! Introducing our new biodegradable coolers! As a business committed to minimizing our carbon-footprint, we are so excited to slay the polystyrene dragon. Our new coolers are:
- Made from US grown, GMO free cornstarch foam (which is water-based rather than petroleum-based like polystyrene)
- Offer an 80% reduction in carbon dioxide
- Use 70% less energy than oil-based coolers
- Compostable or recyclable
- Make a great, clean fire starting material for your BBQ
- Can be thrown in the tub and they dissolve in water
Technology has finally evolved to meet an unmet need.
Yay! Technology has finally evolved. That was sarcasm. I love how eco-friendly and minimizing one’s carbon-footprint usually (always) means corn allergic beware. This was my only source for safe lamb. I really hope they leave the option open for polystyrene packaging. I can barely handle cardboard without breathing problems, I am actually fearful of this new packaging. Wanted to let you all know.